The 664 Field Production Mixer
The 664 Field Production Mixer is the new flagship in Sound Devices’ line of portable audio mixers. Building on the foundation of the popular 552 mixer, the intuitive 664 has six inputs channels and four output buses. All inputs and outputs are recordable to both CF and SD cards. This unprecedented amount of I/O connectivity and recording capability makes the 664 perfect for any production application
The 664 has six ultra-low noise, high-dynamic-range analog inputs. These transformer-less preamps accept mic or line-level signals, and include analog peak limiters, high-pass filters, input trim controls, and direct outputs. Input connectors 1 and 6 can be selected to accept AES42 or AES3 digital signals
In complex, multi-camera productions, output flexibility is essential. The 664 can send its main left/right outputs to three cameras simultaneously. Two additional output buses, X1 and X2, appear on balanced TA3 connectors. AES3 digital outputs are individually selected to appear on the main XLR and multi-pin output connectors.
The 664 can record each of its inputs and its four output buses, for 10 record tracks. Recordings are saved to CompactFlash and SD cards. Recordings are either 16- or 24-bit Broadcast WAV files with extensive metadata. All popular production sampling rates are supported. When used with a CL-6 Input Expander, the 664 records 16 tracks, 12 inputs and four output buses.
Integrated Time Code
With the mixer’s built-in, rock-steady Ambient time code generator, multiple devices can operate in synchronization. The 664 operates as either a time code master clock or its clock can be jammed from external time code. A helpful time code compare utility shows the difference between internal and external time code.
The 664 was designed with knowledge gained from the industry’s top engineers and from Sound Devices’ expertise in portable mixers. Because sound engineers operate in fast-paced environments, important controls are on dedicated knobs and switches, while additional features are quickly accessed through the intuitive LCD-based menu control.
664 Key Features List
- Six high-bandwidth, low noise microphone preamplifiers with phantom, limiters, high-pass, pan, and direct outputs per channel
- Four output buses, Left, Right and Aux 1, Aux 2; transformer-balanced for freedom from ground loops; multiple output connectors, including dual multi-pin
- Built-in production recorder, records all inputs and output buses: 10 tracks total. With CL-6 attached: 16 tracks total.
- Broadcast WAV recording to dual memory card slots, CF and SD
- Record different track combinations and to each card type
- High-precision, Ambient Recording-based time code generator/reader with auto-recharging of internal TC battery
- Time code compare tool to measure offset from internal and external time code
- Quick, intuitive interface via sunlight readable, transflective LCD menu control
- Main controls on dedicated knobs and switches
- Two AES42/AES3 digital inputs (input connectors 1 and 6)
- AES3 output selection, up to eight channels of AES out (XLR, multi-pin)
- Expanded return monitoring capabilities, with three camera returns
- Dedicated communication circuit (PL)
- Built-in slate microphone and external slate microphone input connector
- Powered by AA-battery x5 or isolated (floating) external DC, 10-18V
- Metalized, gasketed carbon-fiber chassis panels for light weight and durability
Download user manual (PDF format)
Most computers have Adobe Reader as standard, if not download it from the link below.